Thứ Sáu, 14 tháng 10, 2011

Future Gaming: Focus More on Gameplay than Graphics?

You could argue with someone about when the next installations of consoles are coming in; and we already see the Wii U now. There are loads of rumors regarding the 'Xbox 720' or 'PS4' - so we might see future consoles in the coming years. When it's coming is anyone's guess, some may argue we are already in the next-generation since the Wii U 'is upon us'.

I'm a bit optimistic of the future of gaming, although I am intrigued. No doubt people ponder upon how the graphics of the next set of consoles will be amazing, and we have seen tech demos of such in short videos (like "The Samaritan" video). People gawked (and I admit, I have) over the graphics of this gen too: From Metal Gear Solid 4 to the Uncharted series; and coming up The Last Guardian, Uncharted 3, and Gears of War 3 as well as many others look amazing graphics-wise. But what is missing here?

No doubt people argue which is more important: Graphics or Gameplay. For me, Gameplay matters the most and graphics matter to an extent: I think this gen we have reached amazing graphics, but I think what devs and games lack the most in focus are most of the gameplay factors. A.I. is something, for example, I'd like to see built upon. In Shooters today, the enemy seems little improved as they'll just stand as shoot at you in shooters or they will lack intelligence in strategy or RPG games. I want to see them cover a wounded unit, or try to flank the player.

No doubt graphics can be amazing, and can change a lot - but having the same technical gameplay gimps in games that look photo realistic can really show, and can be predictable since you've been pretty much playing with them for years and years. Graphics are evolving, and there is no doubt about it - but can gameplay and related tech evolve just as fast and be the spotlight for once so we can have enemies outsmarting us like a Computer in Chess on hard?

Even recently Ubisoft wants to focus more on AI in future titles and next gen, and EA is saying that graphics are fine but things such as AI is awful and needs to be improved. Perhaps we don't need prettier graphics, how about a something that blows us away in terms of technicality? I'm not against Graphics, but I would like Gameplay's technicalities to catch up to speed.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét